How can I help my child navigate this crisis?
There are many things you can do to support your child:
- Take time to talk with your child about the COVID-19 outbreak
- Answer questions and share facts about COVID-19 in a way that your child can understand.
- Maintain a sense of hope and positive thinking. Reassure your child that they are safe. Let them know it is ok if they feel upset. Share with them how you deal with your own stress so that they can learn how to cope from you.
- Limit your child’s exposure to media coverage of the event. Children may misinterpret what they hear and can be frightened about something they do not understand.
- Help your child to have a sense of structure. Once it is safe to return to school or child care, help them return to their regular activity.
- Be a role model; take breaks, get plenty of sleep, exercise, and eat well. Connect with your friends and family members and rely on your social support system.