6/30/20 CCSD School Reopening Plans
As we anticipate reopening in the fall, we recognize that there are many questions about how schools will operate while protecting the health and safety of employees, students, and families during the COVID-19 pandemic. We want to take this opportunity to provide our parents and employees with some information that will be helpful as you make plans for the fall. Please understand that this is an evolving situation and that conditions may change.
- We anticipate schools will reopen as planned on August 20th and will follow a five-day schedule, Monday through Friday. We plan to follow our school calendar as closely as possible with regularly-scheduled holidays, school breaks, etc. We recognize that following a weekly schedule and school calendar can be important for families as you make work and family plans for the upcoming school year.
- We plan to provide accommodations to students and employees who are in the “high risk” health categories. Planning for how to accommodate these individuals is well underway and more information will be forthcoming.
- We know that to stay open, it is important that we stay healthy. We are developing a set of “Safe and Healthy Schools” guidelines designed to provide hygiene and illness protocols for schools, employees, and families. In addition, we plan on having educational plans in place that will provide remote or online learning opportunities to students or staff who become ill and need to stay home to keep themselves and others safe, or for those who are in high-risk categories.
- In the event that conditions require school dismissals either for individual schools or for the school district, we are making contingency plans for remote learning.
As mentioned above, the Governor and State Office of Education released requirements and recommendations for school reopening yesterday. In the latest version of the “Phased Guidelines for the General Public and Businesses to Maximize Public Health and Economic Reactivation,” the Governor includes the following language regarding schools operating in the fall if our health district is in the yellow or green risk phases and public schools are open:
- Local education agencies (school districts and charter schools) will develop plans for reopening schools for in-person instruction.
- Plans must be approved by the local school board or charter school governing board.
- Plans must address the elements and minimum requirements contained in the Utah State Board of Education’s “Requirements and Recommendations for K-12 School Reopening.” document.
Additional information is available to employees and families at www.schools.utah.gov/
In the coming days, we will be working as a district team to develop a plan that aligns with the Governor's and Utah State Board of Education's requirements and recommendations. We will be seeking input from parents and staff as we develop this plan. The plan is scheduled to be approved by the Cache Board of Education by July 21st. We will release the plan to parents and staff shortly thereafter. Training and information will be available beginning in August.
We appreciate the patience and trust parents have shown us as we have navigated through this ever-changing situation. We remain committed to providing an exceptional education to students in a healthy, safe school environment.