Information & Policy Regarding Mountain Crest FLEX Program
FLEX is held each day right after 1st hour. It is a required class for all MCHS students. FLEX is a great opportunity for students who use it properly. Students can make-up or re-take tests, work on homework, or get help from a specific teacher. We also offer PE, Enrichment, and Credit Classes. Students can get help from any teacher during FLEX hour by using a FLEX Pass (similar to a hall pass). They can also use a FLEX Pass to go to computer labs or the library. We register for FLEX six times a year. This gives students the opportunity to change their FLEX class frequently so it is geared to their needs. Each FLEX Session lasts 6-weeks.
*Please note: 9th graders are assigned one Flex class for the entire year and do not change Flex classes every six-weeks. This is in support of our Freshman Mentoring Program. Freshmen are still able to use Flex passes and participate in all other aspects of Flex.
2017-2018 FLEX REGISTRATION DATES:
Grades 10-12, Aug. 21-23
Grade 9, Aug. 22
Session 2: Sept. 11 – 14, Session 3: Oct. 23 – 26, Session 4: Dec. 11 – 14, Session 5: Feb. 5 – 8, Session 6: March 19 – 22
FLEX: Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I Register for Flex?
Go to the Mountain Crest Website: www.ccsdut.org/mc and click on "FLEX INFORMATION" (under quick links on the right-hand side). You will need to enter your student username.
What if I miss Registration?
You will be placed in a study hall with one of your current teachers. Unfortunately, we don't make changes after the registration period is over. However, you can still get the help you need! You can use a Flex Pass ANY DAY to go to ANY TEACHER. Also, remember, we register 6–times a year. That means the next registration period opens soon. Take advantage of that and register for the next session of Flex.
Why don't you make class changes after Registration?
There are many reasons:
1) Most of our classes are full. We can't kick out a student who has legitimately registered to meet your request if you didn't register. Most classes open for registration fill-up during the registration period.
2) We have a lot of students. It takes about 3-weeks to register everyone into a Flex class. We don't have time to make changes for every student who would request a change if that were an option.
3) You can use a Flex Pass to go to any teacher during Flex hour. So even if you’re not placed in your ideal Flex class, you can still do what you need to do during Flex.
4) Students need to learn to take responsibility for their educational needs. There are many announcements to let students know registration is going on. If having a specific Flex class is important to you, you'll learn to register when registration is going on.
How do I request a specific teacher for Flex?
You can request a Flex class, but not a teacher. You will likely be placed with a teacher whose class you currently have. So, if you want your Biology teacher, register for Biology Study Hall. You cannot request a study hall for a class you don't have.
What is an 'Enrichment' Flex class? How do I get one?
If your current GPA is 2.0 or higher, you can register for an Enrichment (or non-study hall) class. These include things like: Robotics, Social Dance, Ceramics, Reading Room, Ping Pong and Weights. The choices change each Flex session. We are happy to be able to offer these kinds of classes to enrich the school day for students who don’t need Study Hall.
What are 'For Credit' Flex classes?
Some Flex classes can be taken for an entire Trimester and you get .5 credit. Examples include: Peer Tutor, Treble Choir, Seminary, and Concurrent Enrollment classes. Again, you must register to be placed in one of these classes, and take that class for the entire trimester.
How do I use a Flex Pass?
You need to get your Flex Pass BEFORE FLEX BEGINS. Here are the steps to follow:
1) Either the day before or the morning of, go to the teacher whose Flex class you want to attend that day and get a Flex Pass from them.
2) Bring that Flex Pass to your Flex class with you. After announcements, show that Flex Pass to your Flex teacher. They will make a note of which class you are going to and sign your Flex Pass.
3) Take your Flex Pass with you to the class you are attending. When you are done getting help from that teacher, they will sign your Flex Pass.
4) Before the Flex period ends return your signed Flex Pass to your Flex teacher.
If you fail to use a Flex Pass (or return it at the end of the hour) you will be marked absent from Flex that day.
How do I fail Flex?
Failing Flex is based primarily on attendance, however, each teacher is able to modify the policy according to their classroom needs. If you miss six FLEX classes in the six-week period (verified or unverified) you will fail that session of Flex. If you are caught 'sluffing' or are marked ‘truant’ during Flex you will fail that session. *Check with your Flex teacher to make sure you know what their expectations are.
What happens if I fail a Flex class?
Parents and students are notified with a letter mailed home. You are assigned a Peer Court date. At Peer Court, Administration and a student panel look at your individual situation and decide what you will be required to do to make-up your Flex Fail. It could include service, extra home-work, working with a specific teacher, etc.
If you complete the requirements given you by the Peer Court, you will be cleared from your Flex Fail and once again become eligible to ‘walk’ at Graduation. However, if you Fail Flex 4 TIMES, you permanently lose the opportunity to walk at Graduation. We feel that is a generous policy considering you are at MCHS for 4-years.
Additionally, YOU MUST MAKE UP YOUR FAILED FLEX BY THE END OF THE SCHOOL-YEAR. You will not be given a schedule for the next school year until you make-up your failed Flex class.