Education research is very clear that effective instruction matters and teachers are the single most school-level influence on student achievement. Therefore, the foundational assumptions of the Utah Educator Effectiveness Project recognize that high quality instruction in all public schools in Utah requires:
- Measuring teaching and leadership with research-based performance standards.
- Aligning preparation programs to Utah Effective Teaching Standards and Utah Educational Leadership Standards.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of educators yearly using multiple measures.
- Recruiting, retaining, promoting, and rewarding the most effective educators.
- Providing appropriate professional development at all stages of the professional career continuum.
The five major components of the Educator Effectiveness Project are directly targeted at improving instruction and are all essential for improving educational outcomes for all students.