Dress Code Policy
CACHE COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT Dress Code
Purpose: The courts, state, and federal laws, as well as Cache County School District, require an atmosphere at school which provides for a safe, orderly, and distraction-free learning environment.
The following dress code policy has been designed to support such an environment. There appears to be a close relationship between good dress and grooming habits, good work and study habits, and proper school behavior. If clothing, hair style, or personal adornment is causing a disruption in school or at any school function, appropriate action will be taken.
Disruption is defined as, but not limited to, reactions by other individuals to the clothing or adornment, which causes the teacher/administrator to lose the attention of the students, to modify or cease instructional activities, or to deal with student confrontations or complaints.
Responsibilities: Adherence to dress and grooming standards is the responsibility of the student and his/her parents/guardians. Enforcement of the school’s dress code and standards is the responsibility of the school administration, faculty, and staff. Students that do not comply with a teacher’s request will be referred to the school administration for corrective action. Any item which violates the dress code may be confiscated and not returned to the student or parent at the discretion of the school administration or law enforcement.
It is recognized that activities may arise that call for variations; therefore, exceptions to this policy may be made for special occasions only when so designated by the school administration.
Consequences: If a student chooses to wear inappropriate clothing to school, the student needs to call a parent to bring appropriate clothing, be sent home to change (with parental permission), or wear clothing provided by the school. Inappropriate items at school may be permanently confiscated. Students are reminded that proper winter clothing is critical for their safety and comfort.
The Cache County School District has established the following guidelines to aid parents and students in selecting proper school attire:
- Students should be clean and well groomed (hair, clothes, cosmetics). If safety is a factor, more stringent standards may be applied.
- Shoes or sandals must be worn at all times while on campus.
- Except for religious or medical purposes, hats, caps, and other head coverings shall not be worn or displayed inside school facilities during school hours.
- Clothes shall sufficiently cover undergarments at all times.
- See-through or net fabrics, halter-tops, off-the shoulder or low-cut tops, bare midriffs, and muscle shirts (sleeveless/bare midriff shirts) are prohibited.
- Shorts and skirts must be near the knee.
- Clothing, jewelry, personal items (backpacks/bags, binders, bandannas, etc.), and skin shall be free of writing, pictures, symbols, insignia, or color combinations which:
- Communicate crude, profane, or sexually suggestive messages
- Displays drug, alcohol, or tobacco advertising, promotion, or likenesses
- Advocate racial, ethnic, or religious prejudice
- Represent or give evidence to gang membership or affiliation
- Metal accessories that present a hazard to the health or safety of the wearer or others are prohibited on school grounds.