RoCK Hour is based upon Sky View’s mission statement which is Relationships, Character, & Knowledge for Life. The purpose of this hour is to create time during the school day to support the following:
1. Academics – Academically, we want every student to be successful. We not only want to ensure every student is passing their classes, but that they are also being challenged by and mastering the curriculum.
2. Extra Curricular Activities – We want every student to be involved in extracurricular activities. We feel strongly that students who are involved in extracurricular activities learn important life skills, do better academically, and benefit from involvement in positive activities
3. Character – We believe it is important for students to develop strong character as part of their education including being responsible, self- motivated, and developing good self-management and social skills.
4. Life Preparation – Upon leaving Sky View High School, we want every student to be prepared for the next step in life whether that is college, technical training, or the job market.
What will Teachers be doing during RoCK Hour?
Each teacher will be available for at least 30 minutes of the RoCK Hour to students. This can be at the end, or beginning of the hour. All teachers will monitor students in their RoCK Advisory class and refer those that are failing to the teacher whose class is being failed. Teachers will use the RoCK hour to support the areas outlined above which will include the following types of activities:
1. Test/Assignment Make-Up
2. Test Preparation
3. Academic Enrichment
4. Study Halls
5. Peer/Adult Tutoring
6. Club/Organization Meetings
8. Credit Recovery
10. Student Support Groups
11. Teaching Study Skills/Learning Strategies/Self Management Skills
12. Study Hall
13. Computer Lab Access
14. Office Hours
15. Academic Restoration
How will I know what teachers are doing during RoCK Hour?
Each teacher will post a schedule on their door that indicates the activities they will be offering during RoCK Hour. Teachers will also advertise those offerings to students in their classes. Offerings will also be available on our website.
What other services will be available during the RoCK Hour?
The Counseling Office, Writing Lab, Career Center, Financial Office, and Front Office will be fully staffed during the RoCK hour and available to students. What is expected of students during RoCK Hour? It is expected that students will stay on campus during the RoCK hour, will join us for lunch, and take advantage of the many activities that are provided.