• Ridgeline High School; School Community Council Minutes

    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 7:00 A.M.; Conference Room


    Members Present: Crystal Howe (Vice Chair/parent), Michelle Palmer (Secretary/parent), Robert Henke (principal), Michelle Israelsen (parent), Joshua Nelson (parent), Kay Sweeten (parent), Bonnie Odd (teacher), Emma Smith (teacher), Brittany Foster (assist. principal, non-voting member)

    Members Absent: Kerri Williams (Chair/parent), Jerry Skidmore (teacher), Tara Johnson  (counselor/non-voting member),  David Swenson  (assist. principal, non-voting member)

    Visitors: Marcie Lyons, Diane Theurer

    Meeting Conducted by: Crystal Howe


    Agenda Item #1: Approve minutes from March 23 meeting

    Discussion:  Bonnie Odd made a motion to approve the minutes from the March 23 meeting and Kay Sweeten seconded.  The vote was unanimous to approve the minutes.


    Agenda Item #2: Students Accessing VPNs at school

    Discussion: This is a continuing discussion from the March 14, 2017 meeting. Joshua Nelson has concerns about students who are using Virtual Private Networks at school to access websites that may not be appropriate. The administration and district are aware of this problem. In fact, this is a state-wide and nation-wide problem. Students seem to be using their phones all the time.  Students know the school Wi-Fi password.  Students are not socializing as much in person because they are on their phones between classes. Perhaps there needs to be ongoing conversations between teachers and students about proper use of cell phones.  Perhaps parents need to be educated about this concern.  Idea: teach appropriate cell phone use and manners during an assembly.  We do teach some at the beginning of the year at the NetSmartz assembly. Tim Smith, Chief Information Officer of Cache County Schools, is aware of this problem in our district and is purchasing a $112,000 device and additional software, which the district will set up this spring. Bonnie Odd will try to get more information from Tim Smith about this software and what results we can expect.


    Agenda Item #3: Report on city response to speed limit concern: Nibley, Providence, Millville

    Discussion: Kay Sweeten will check with Nibley City to put this concern on a city meeting agenda and Crystal Howe will talk to Kerri Williams about contacting Millville City.  Crystal will share the information that she presented to Providence City with Kay and Kerri.


    Agenda Item #4: 2017-2018 Community Council: How many new members for next year? When to hold SCC elections—spring or fall

    Discussion: Michelle Palmer will resign from the council since she has served for many years and she will not have a student at Ridgeline next year. We will add 2 more seats to the council, so that every year there will be some openings available on the council (about half the parent members will return each year and half the seats will be available for an election). This is in accordance with school community council guidelines. Elections will be held in the spring of each year.  The administration will send out an email to all parents to inform them that Ridgeline High School is accepting nominations for 3 seats on the School Community Council. Then there will be another email sent to parents so that they can vote for these positions. Each candidate will be able to submit a 100 word informational paragraph about why they want to serve on the council. The whole submission and voting process should take place before the next community council meeting.


    Agenda Item #5: Monson Plaque

    Discussion: We want to have a plaque, posted in the commons that contains a short history of the land on which the school was built. Mr. Henke said that the school budget will cover the cost of the plaque.  We need to choose someone to design the plaque, which will be made by Al’s Trophies.  Crystal Howe will ask Kerri Williams to talk to the Monson family to see if they want anything about their family on the plaque.  If they don’t want to have any personal information included, then we can just put information that mentions that this land was farmland and, perhaps, put some history about Millville, etc. The information can include a photo, which Al’s will engrave on the plaque.


    Agenda Item #6: Trust Land Budget

    Discussion:  This year’s allocation is still being spent on salaries for teachers as outlined in the School Improvement Plan. Some teachers are staying after school to provide tutoring for students. Some of the teachers will be paid to meet as departments in the summer to discuss and plan curriculum.


    Next Meeting: Tuesday, May 9, 2017at 7:00am in the Conference Room. This will be the last meeting for the 2016-2017 school year.  The first meeting of the 2017-2018 school year will be Tuesday, September 12.


    Minutes Prepared By: Michelle Palmer