February 10, 2016
School Community Council Minutes
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
In Attendance: Stacie Williamson (Principal), Alyssa Hertzler (P Co-Chair), Linda Bergsjo (T, Co-chair) Tiffany Farnsworth (P Secretary), Michael Torrey(T), Wendy Bowers (P), Vanessa Borges (P), Amy Maughan (P), Megan Woolstenhulme (PTA), Wendy Bowers (P) Stacie Loveland(P), Amy Maughn(P)
Excused: Kristen Smith (T), Staci Loveland (P)
2. Review Minutes from February.
Linda Bergsjo motioned to accept with Alyssa Hertzler seconding, with unanimous vote to accept.
3. Present the Four-Tenants of what a “real” PLC looks like-Solution Tree Info. Canyon Elementary sent a group of teachers to be trained on this during the fall. All the teachers will be trained on this information at their Professional Development on Friday.
Teachers: Are you focused on teaching or learning? This changes what happens in the classroom. When a teacher is focused on learning the classroom is shaped to make sure students are learning and understanding what is taught. Vision statement: What is Canyon going to look like in the next 3-5 years, so that goals can be set. What are the norms? Why are they important? We have an on going team, what do we expect from each other? For SCC: Attendance, positive, respect, value opinions, open forum, comfortable, be a representative, listen attentively, report back, getting along, build relationships, learn something new, what we are working toward is one-making Canyon a better place, value time. These are important to keep the team working in a positive way.
PLC: Professional Learning Community- Beyond Collaboration: use formative data, generate interventions. Tight loose then tight. Grades, Assignments, Homework: why do you keep grades? Daily, Schoolwide Intervention: A set time per grade level for Interventions. Win, Win time ½ hour once a day. There is never new core material, it is always review time. Pride can inhibit this from working. This is the direction we’d like Canyon to go as a whole school.
4. Next Year Transition Questions: Summer school this year will be different: 8:30-12:30 for four weeks, right after school gets out. School next year starts on a Wednesday. We will get a different set of portables, ESL will be in the portables.
5. Other: Sidewalk through the grass: we would need money…
6. Next Meeting Scheduled for March 4, 2016 in the Conference room.