Drivers Education #9130
Fees: $140/School year $170/Summer and Evening All fees for Driver's Ed must be paid at the Green Canyon Finance Office
A Learners Permit must be obtained from the Driver License Division (110 East 700 South - phone: 752-0332) by taking and passing the State Written Test BEFORE attending the first day of class. This applies to the 2nd and 3rd options listed below.
Enroll in the course during the school day.
OPTION 2: MUST LIVE IN THE CACHE COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT BOUDARIES (Unless you are a student @ GCHC)
We have an online option available to students that can't fit the other options into their schedule. The class fee must be paid to Green Canyon prior to gaining access to the online class. Students should plan on this class taking the required 27 hours of instruction to complete. This only completes the curriculum part of the licensing process. The behind the wheel instruction with a Green Canyon instructor begins after the course is completed. Please inquire about this option at the main office.
OPTION 3: MUST LIVE IN CACHE COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT BOUNDARIES (Unless you are a student @ GCHS)
You can reserve your spot in the class by paying the fee of $170.00 in the financial office at Green Canyon. Classes will be held at Green Canyon in the Lecture Hall, enter through the North parking lot.
June 2022 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Class #1 June 13th
Class #2 June 14th
Class #3 June 15th
Class #4 June 16th
Class #5 June 20th
Class #6 June 21st
Class #7 June 22nd
August/September 2022 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Class #1 August 29
Class #2 August 30
Class #3 August 31
Class #4 September 6
Class #5 September 7
Class #6 September 8
Class #7 September 12
Class # 8 September 13
Class # 9 September 14
November 2022 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Class #1 November 1
Class #2 November 2
Class #3 November 3
Class #4 November 7
Class #5 November 8
Class #6 November 9
Class #7 November 14
Class #8 November 15
Class #9 November 16
March 2023 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Class #1 March 6
Class #2 March 7
Class #3 March 8
Class #4 March 13
Class #5 March 14
Class #6 March 15
Class #7 March 20
Class # 8 March 21
Class # 9 March 22
June 2023 8:00 am - 11:00 am
Class #1 June 12
Class #2 June 13
Class #3 June 14
Class #4 June 19
Class #5 June 20
Class #6 June 21
Class #7 June 26
Class # 8 June 27
Class # 9 June 28
ATTENTION STUDENTS AND PARENTS:
As a result of the New Learner Permit Law, a 15-year-old student can now obtain a permit to drive when he or she has reached the age of fifteen. The class times are posted above: seven sessions with four-hour class periods. It is recommended that the classes be taken in order and completed all together. But if you are unable to attend all seven sessions during a class, you MUST complete the session you miss in another class. For example, if you miss Session #3, you must make up Session #3 in another class. However, all students MUST begin by taking class #1.
Before attending the first class, you MUST obtain a Learner Permit from the Driver License Division (110 East 700 South – phone: 752-0332) by taking and passing the State Written Test. You are required, by Utah Law, to have the permit at least SIX MONTHS prior to obtaining a license (even if you are already 16). It would be best to take a class approximately six months prior to reaching age sixteen.
You will need to complete all seven classes, all instructional drives, and have a Learner Permit for six months prior to obtaining a Driver License at age sixteen.
Why should I take Driver Education so soon?
- To have the knowledge to practice effectively with your parents (i.e., right of way laws, maneuvers, proper driving techniques).
- To develop good habits rather than unsafe practices that may have to be corrected in order to pass the Driving Test.
- The night class (option 3) will save an elective choice in your high school schedule. This class would be great for those who participate in extra-curricular activities, or those who intend to take AP or Concurrent Enrollment classes.
Will the grade I receive for Driver Education affect my Grade Point Average?
The choice is yours. Because this class will be offered during the summer and after school, you have the option of taking the class on a Pass/Fail basis or for a grade. If you choose the Pass/Fail option, you will NOT receive high school credit toward high school graduation. You will have completed what the State of Utah requires of you to obtain a Driver License only. If you choose to take the class for a grade, it will become part of your high school transcript and will therefore be part of your GPA. You will have your final grade before you have to make this decision; however, once the decision is made, it is final.
What will I have to complete before I can get my license?
- You must obtain the Learner Permit from the Driver License Division. This is accomplished by passing the State Written Test.
- You must take and pass Driver Education. Attendance of 27 hours must be completed before you are eligible to obtain a license. ( Three options available, see above)
- Complete all instructional drives: (Scheduled with Green Canyon instructors)
Drives to complete:
o Range Drive
o #1 Part Highway / Part Maneuver drive
o #2 Part Maneuver / Part Highway drive
o #3 Part Review / Part Driving Test
Cost and Restrictions of the Summer/Evening Course: (Option 3)
- Classes will be capped at 90 students.
- Class fee MUST be paid to the financial office to reserve your seat in the class (this fee covers the entire cost of the course: all seven classroom sessions, instructional drives, and the handbook). Checks should be made out to Green Canyon High School, or paid by credit card.
- Priority for seats in the class will be based on: first to sign up and pay, birth date, permits, eligibility date.